Sewing my way through ‘Love at First Stitch’ – The Megan Dress

Sewing my way through ‘Love at First Stitch’ – The Megan Dress

The Megan Dress is one of many patterns in the Love At First Stitch Book, thanks Granny Nancy for the awesome gift. It was not love at first ‘stitch’ for me with the Megan Dress. The fit on me did not match the fit displayed in the book and it wasn’t something I was used to wearing. I have worked out that this is because the measurements to fit are very different to the finished garment measurements. I made the first one in an amazing light weight Indian Cotton in blue with a small pattern on it. I loved the fabric so I committed to wearing the dress… Even if it was looser then I had hoped. I am beyond happy to report that I grew to love this first Megan Dress so much that I now wear it so long it is definitely a major staple in my wardrobe. Granted, I do have to wear a bra with this dress given that it does not have a full lining and it is not fitted. I love love love the Megan Dress (at least my first one). I have tried unsuccessfully to make another Megan Dress that I have fallen in love with. This is my fault though for choosing the wrong fabrics. Light and soft fabrics only for this one guys. Definitely try it and love it, or hate it and then give it away. I have tried making it with the sleeve option and have always hated it and found it uncomfortable. You might like it though, so who knows. Thanks for reading. Catelyn 🙂 Share this:TweetShare...
How I altered the Grainline Archer into a dress.

How I altered the Grainline Archer into a dress.

If anyone has been following along with my Instagram (@morningstardesigns) you will know I have made a number of Archer Shirts. You can check out some I blogged here and here. I have been looking for a sleeveless shirtless dress to wear over leggings or jeans in Autumn/Winter for a while and could not find any in the shops… I would also like something I can sell in my shop that is actually good. Now for the photos (follow to the end for the how).         Now for the part that all the sewing people out there might find interesting… Here is the short of it: I have altered the bodice part of the Grainline Studios Archer in the past to fit me well and now I have a pretty well fitting set up. So what I did with this one: Add 6″ in length and made the skirt more A-line. Omitted the sleeves. Angled the top of the arm hole in. Added bodice darts to wherever they worked the best. Finished the arm holes with bias tape. Extended the button placket all the way to the bottom (the buttons are fake after the top 5).   *** What I will do different next time, make it an extra inch longer. Use a bit less interfacing. Hopefully work it so I don’t need a bust dart at all.   Happy Sewing! Share this:TweetShare on TumblrPrintEmailLike this:Like...

My First Grainline Archer top

I have been meaning to sew up an Archer button up for months and months! I honestly was looking for an alternative pattern for a while because I didn’t like how baggy and unfitted it looked on some bloggers. Turns out I did not have to worry  as the size I sewed up (6 for bust down to a 2 in hips) was not baggy at all. My first attempt was not at all perfect and there are plenty of changes I will be making for my second and third (already cut out ready to sew). Even though to my hip measurements I am a 0 in my next copy I will grade the hips as a 6 as these really hugged tight in my hips in an unflattering way. I think the 6 for the bust was right BUT I get major boob gape so the button placement really needs to be reshuffled. I also don’t really like how the last button ends up being so close to the bottom – There needs to be the same length beneath the button as there is between each button I think. I read lot of bloggers wanted their arms to be shorter as they were too long – I had the opposite problem! These are a 1-2cm too short through the arms so I have added extra length for 2 and 3. I do like lots of the details though like the view A sleeve cuffs, the pleat in the back, the back yoke. I found sewing it up really easy following the sew along. Is it a quick sew?...

Wiksten Tank – sewing for me.

Wiksten Tank   I have admired this pattern since I saw it here and here and almost everywhere else in blogland.   It took me several tries to get it right but I feel pretty confident I have mastered the Wiksten now!   The pattern itself is very easy, only 2 pieces to cut, front and back. Following many other bloggers advice I took an inch out of the back and raised the front by an inch. The fit on me needed a lot of adjusting as my bust and my hips do not fit the same size. It finishes beautifully with french seams and bias tape.   (I do not really like to have my photograph taken, so this is the best you get)      Bias Detail  French seam detail Lined up pocket detail   These are some of my earlier, less perfect attempts at the Wilksten tank.       Pattern: Wiksten Tank Size: Modified S/M Fabric: Japanese printed cotton lawn from Spotlight Modifications: I made this one about 3″ longer then the pattern so that I could wear it over leggings in the ‘in-between-seasons’. I also used store bought bias tape for the arms and neck holes. Now that I am confident with this one I will be selling them here and here. Till next time 🙂 Share this:TweetShare on TumblrPrintEmailLike this:Like...
%d bloggers like this: